the clean up process
I travel to Haiti about twice a year for medical mission and also to visit Family.
I am well aware of the delabitating status of the healthcare system there.
The earthquake aggravated things but as we all know the problems existed prior to Jan 12,2010.
There many problems to fixed but all can not be fixed at once. My focus is how to reduce the amount of trash that is in the streets of any given city in Haiti presently.
My old deceased grandmother told me once upon a time that if you want someone to understand a game you make that person part of the team.
I suggest that a small town or neighborhood in the surroundings of PAP be chosen as a model example "Carrefour Feuille" there is a new Market place.
Create a trash pick up program with the inhabitants of that area
1) Designate an area of trash collection
2) Designat trash bag distribution center ( may be a commissariat or Church office)
3) Distribute 3 bags per person a week.
4) the bags should be return filled with trash pick up from the community for a small compensation 40 gourdes per bag( so many are not working that would help their pockets).
The bags should be return to #1 --Collection center
5) Sanitation division can pick trash from collection center to designated landfill
6) raise awareness via media
Try this in one community and see how it works.
Consider it a pilot study.
We Have to get rid of the trash before we can promote tourism
Try this, people will be fighting to pick up Trash